Thursday, March 17, 2011

Drunk Monkeys end up Fat, Broke and Alone!

 






What has your Mind-Monkey been drinkin?  I hope it's not the same sauce that mine has been swiggin'! That is some powerful potion!

A super cool author named Brian Johnson puts it like this in his book A Philosopher's Notes 

"In Buddhism, they like to say that our minds are like monkeys swinging from thought to thought (to thought to thought...).

Only, the monkey in our mind is drunk, swinging from thought to thought to thought.

Then that little drunk monkey is stung by a scorpion! Swinging feverishly from thought to thought to thought. D'oh.

That's not all, though. Take that drunk little poisoned monkey and make him crazy!

THAT is how our minds tend to be."

Lately my drunken, poisoned, crazy-monkey-mind has been takin' some speed or something!

Seriously, in the last couple weeks the thoughts have been flashing by the hundreds every second in my little brain.

I normally experience a couple dozen wild business ideas, faces of people I need to connect with and thoughts of stuff around the house to accomplish, just while brushing my teeth. But that has gone into overdrive lately.

I have a new employment position as a social media guru/blogger/internet guy. While settling into this fresh and exciting opportunity it has been hard to reign in my brain as I incorporate a whole new block of knowledge and responsibilty into my life. How much Fun it has been!

Okay, so what's the problem?

Well previous to locking-in this new job I had a few goals that I was consistently and steadily working on every day.
  • I had a Tight handle on my daily spending... Like None.
  • I was Ferociously Strict on a diet plan which had helped me drop 20lbs in a month.
  • I spent lots of free time working on True North FFC
  • Intaking tons of great material for my entreprenurial, philosophical & business education
  • And generally enjoying time with my beautiful girlfriend Lindsay :)
Then the Mind-Monkey found out about the new job and went Bat-Sh!T Crazy!

Basically, losing my focus on these "old" goals (hold on Linds, I'll explain :) has put the success of those goals at risk! In the last couple weeks, I've...
  • Spent cash on a couple celebration moments that I really didn't Have to
  • Broken my diet on "Non Off-Days" several times
  • Slowed waay down on connecting with my Coaching Community
  • Haven't picked up a book or heard a seminar with the Free Agent Academy in weeks
  • and even... OMG, "Worked" when I could have been chillin' with my girl!!
Now, I don't have Any reason to have changed the outcome that I am looking for in all these areas, but my effort to reach those goals has dropped significantly! It is really hard to tame that drunk-monkey-mind!!!

This is why it is hard to get out of debt.

This is why it is hard to stay on a budget.

This is why most people, Yes, like 95% of people are not as wealthy as they have the potential to be!

It is hard to stay focused!

With a plan of action to follow, like a written budget or a diet meal plan, it is easier to know if you are on or off track... However, you do have to actually look at the budget or have a meal plan to start with.

These are just a few examples of things we all want to improve on: Spiritual, Relationships, Career, Time managment, Horseshoe Throwing Ability... Whatever it is, we can work toward our goals if we can stay focused :)

I have completed the first step in calming and sobering up my plastered primate: I realize this is a problem!

I now know that I need to take small steps in the right direction to get myself back on the track that I set out in the first place...

But, you know what? Today IS St. Patty's Day :) Maybe I'll start the sobering up process tomorrow!

I hope you enjoy Shakin' your Shamrock tonight and when you wake up tomorrow, think about what thoughts you would like your monkey to slow down and ponder on...

Believe me, with powerful focus, intensity and love-from-above: your potential and possibilties are LIMITLESS!!!

Sincerely,


 





Aaron Nichols
True North Financial Fitness Coaching
aaron@truenorthffc.com
785-218-6134
http://www.truenorthffc.com/

Got a leaky Wallet? Bulging budget or none at all? Dilapidated Debt that you're sick of living with?  You are losing hard earned dollars every month! Let me show you how to spackle the cracks and firm up your financial foundation. DIY or using my professional services, either way, the best time to fix your finances is Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment